Here are some quick tips to remember just in case you're involved in an accident. Download and print our full checklist by clicking here.
- Try to remain calm.
- Get help for the injured.
- Call the police or 911. Remain at the scene of the accident.
- Warn oncoming traffic. Set head lights, flashers and flares.
- Do not admit fault.
- Exchange names, addresses, phone numbers, makes of vehicles, license numbers and insurance company/policy number information with all drivers.
- Get names, addresses, and phone numbers of all passengers and witnesses.
- Sketch the accident. If you are carrying a camera or cell phone, take pictures or videos of the scene and damage.
- Examine and record damage to other vehicles and property.
- Do not discuss the accident. Only answer questions asked by police and your insurance company claim representative. The same goes for signing documents.